The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB) Profile
SCAOB is a community based organisation founded to promote the interest of its members by associating together the said members, the local authorities and voluntary and other organisations in a common effort to relieve poverty, advance education of its members, and provide facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation for the members, in the interests of social welfare with the objects of improving their conditions of life.
Membership of the Association is open to any individual interested in promoting the objects who:
a) applies to the charity in the form required by the Trustees
b) is approved by the Trustees, and
c) signs the Register of members or consents in writing to become a member personally.
1. Full Members: those individuals who are aged 18 years and over and who live in the area of benefit. Full members have the right to attend and vote at General Meetings and stand for election to the Executive Committee.
2. Affiliated members: those individuals who are aged 18 years and over who live outside the area of benefit. Affiliated members shall have the right to attend General Meetings, they shall not have the right to vote or be nominated for election to the Executive Committee.
3. Non-Sudanese individual members aged 18 years and over may be admitted to membership of the charity as and when subject to such conditions as the Committee may decide.
The organisation is very active in the following fields:
· SCAOB is very keen to conduct various social activities to gather its members together with their families and friends in order to promote societal and communal relationships and to celebrate various national events in an informal and enjoyable environment.
· Accordingly, the association regularly organises social events to entertain its members and offer them the chance to meet and discuss the various issues that faces them both as individuals and a community.
· These activities have regularly included celebrating:
o The Sudan’s Independence Day
o Eid El-Fitr
o Eid El-Adha
o Christmas Day
· Considering the backgrounds of the majority of our members as recent immigrants to the UK, it has become obvious that there is a need for helping them to settle quickly in order to develop themselves and to integrate effectively with the rest of the society.
· In order to achieve this, SCAOB, helps its members by giving them the required assistance to contact the right authorities and bodies that can give them the right advice.
· A growing number of our members has received such service and expressed their gratitude to SCAOB for helping them finding their feet at their early stages of settling in Bristol.
TRAINING & EDUCATION:
· SCAOB aims at providing advice, training, education and facilities for recreation or other leisure-time occupations for the growing number of the Sudanese inhabitants of Bristol (mainly concentrating in the central area of Bristol).
· SCAOB views this as the main tool of empowering our members and effecting their integration within the British society.
· The benefits to the Sudanese community would be promoted without distinction due to sex, race, religion, colour or political opinion.
· This would be achieved via proper coordination between SCAOB, the local authorities, and voluntary or other organisations in a common effort to establish a community centre and advance the objectives of the association.
· To this end, SCAOB has established special relationships with a number of trainging and educational establishments and would like to acknowledge the effective collaboration it receives from:
o Bridging the Gap
· SCAOB views the Sudanese community role in enriching the British society and adding to its diversity as important.
· The roots of the Sudanese civilisation and history go back to more than 8000 years.
· With such a heritage, it would be useful for the Sudanese community in Bristol to participate to the cultural events in the city.
· The objective of such participation is to help our members to integrate effectively in the British society as well as to help the British society to learn about the Sudanese culture.
· SCAOB has run various activities to achieve this objective. For example,
o The Sudanese Cultural Event in Bristol in 2004
o Participating in exhibitions and ….
· Informing the general public about our culture and keeping our members aware of developments around them are key to achieving the goals of SCAOB.
· Hence, SCAOB takes every opportunity to broadcast cultural, entertainment and general public information material in collaboration with various radio stations in Bristol.
· The followings are but a few examples of such activities:
o RADIO FM
· Sporting activities, particularly, football, are very popular among our members
· SCAOB organises regular training sessions for its members in collaboration with Bristol City Council
· SCAOB football teams participate in various local competitions such as the refugee week in Bristol.
The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB) Locality of Operation
The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB) Areas of Benefit
38-42 Chelsea Road
Tel - (+44)(07790)988429
Websites and Email Contact
The website of The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB) is - http://bristolsudanesecommunity.com
Number of Trustees
The total number at The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB) is 0
Donate Webpage Available
There are not Donate Webpage Available at The Sudanese Community Association of Bristol (SCAOB)
We try and ensure all listings are genuine, if for some reason you wish to complain / report the above listing please use our contact form to get in touch with us